Total Pageviews

Monday, October 26, 2009

Liberia: The Arrival



Saturday, Oct 24 2009
At 6:30 AM the alarm went off, so I hit snooze for another sweet 10 minutes in bed. Why are were there minutes so sweet? It's not what you think. I knew that those extra few minutes of laying next to my wife would fill the void created by my travel. Those minutes were quiet, precious and sweet. Within 90 minutes I was at checking into at the Denver International Airport, I had made good drive time from Colorado Springs. About 9:00 AM, Ed Luminati called me to talk about our plans for improving the Health of children in Central African Republic. While I was on the phone, I booted up my laptop to sync-up email one last time before leaving the US. By 9:45 shutdown, packed up, hung up with Ed and proceeded to board my flight. I talked with my bride until the airplane door was closed - then flew to Washington DC.

Upon arriving in DC at 3:50 PM, I went straight to the Red Carpet lounge where I can work in a quiet place and get a "free" drink and snack. I called my mother (as I usually do when I leave the US and when I arrive back in the US). Then off to make catch my flight at 5:50 PM, I walked to the gate and boarded immediately. 7 hours of fly time!

Sunday, Oct 25 2009
After another red-eye flight from the USA to Europe, I found myself sitting in the Belgium Beer CafĂ© at 6:30 AM in Brussels waiting for a noon flight to Monrovia, Liberia. I dug down into my overstuffed backpack looking for some Euros from a previous journey and then stepped up to the bar to order the Express Breakfast: 1 Hot Drink and 2 Pastries for €5.50. Because I haven't had anything to drink for about 5 hours, I ordered a water along with the special of the day. The total came to €8.70, or approximately $13.05. Let me tell you, that water was the best $4.80 bottle of water I have ever had…or will have most likely!

I sat alone along the back wall of the bar and enjoyed my cup of European style coffee, the two pastries and eponymous water, remembering to take the daily Malarone to mitigate the onset of malaria I will get in Liberia. Because my job requires over 125,000 miles of travel each year, I get to see people from just about all walks of life at airports throughout the world. Some look confident and experienced while most look a bit confused about where to go. Of course, in the background, I hear all different kinds of laughter - from a Belgian's deep and well grounded heaps of joy to a dainty little snip of an Asian. I often wonder where everyone is going and why. At times I seem to slip into the backdrop of a seemingly organized chaos called the airport.

After I finished my cup of coffee (no refills here), I opened the New Testament with Palms and Proverbs that Cheryl, my wife, gave me to read when I travel. The book of Psalms was crying out to me because I often pray for protection, for resources, for God's favor in the face of many adversaries. Near the very end of the short first chapter, the Message reads, "God charts the road you take." The itty-bitty phrase was what I needed today.


As one of the leaders at VisionTrust, I am always telling our global staff along with our supporters that God is the one leading us. He is the one in charge. However, honestly, someday my faith runs thin and I begin to control the direction of VisionTrust attempting to solve my own problems in my own timing. The week ahead in Liberia is going to be hard. I will be worn out from struggling to follow and lead conversations from morning to night in broken English; worn out from praying and seeking discernment while I evaluate new project sites; worn out from the Spiritual warfare that seems to run deep in this country; worn out from trying to balance the application of the gifts and talents God has given to me with allowing God to lead and show me what to do. "God charts the road you take." Wow…that was exactly what I needed to be reminded of today.

I am so thankful that I am traveling with two other men: Don Lampe and Tim Debold from Calvary Church in Muscatine, IA. I met up with them in the T terminal a couple hours before our flight to Liberia. It is a huge blessing to have companionship while traveling. It provides encouragement, protection, counsel and conversation in English ;-)


Praise be to the Lord, we landed in Monrovia, Liberia at 9:00 PM. I must say that after traveling for two days, Psalm 4 from the MSG really hits home: "At day's end I'm ready for sound sleep."

Matthew Storer, President

No comments:

Post a Comment